Please note all prices are in New Zealand Dollars ($NZD)
- Program Details
- Apply Now
In Moshi, a town on the foothills of Kilimanjaro we work with a number of facilities that support children. These are not only orphans and street children, but also children who have for various reasons, less privileged lives and wouldn’t be cared for sufficiently without the work of the facilities.
In Tanzania, there are approximately four million children under 14 who are not appropriately cared for. Volunteer assignments are possible just as internships, for instance for students of social work or education. Many facilities employ social workers, teachers, and other professionals.
All of the centres presented below have a real need for volunteers. They were started by proactive locals who have put a lot of personal effort into their projects, improving them to what they are today. The centres can acceptably cater to the basic needs of the children and have gained – in most cases through World Unite! – first experiences with foreign volunteers whom they can introduce to their work and accompany in an appropriate way.
However, still today, the centres struggle with every day financial issues. There have been volunteers and interns who have participated actively. But it must be clear that most managers and staff of these facilities have never been outside of Tanzania and the approach to many issues is fundamentally different from Western thought patterns.
As the life situations and conditions of some children are not always easy, we try to combine older, more experienced volunteers with younger, less experienced participants, so that they can support each other. When planning at which organizations to exactly place you as a volunteer or intern, we, therefore, have to check which other volunteers who will be there during your time frame. For this reason, particularly when you book a long time in advance, we will be probably able to confirm a certain centre to you only around 2-3 months prior to your arrival.
- Enjoy working with children and teenagers.
- Age: 18- 30 years
- Be motivated and interested in experiencing another culture.
- Be flexible and open-minded.
- Have a clean police record.
- Be in good general health
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- Arrangements of the Documents you need for your Visa Application, but not the official government fees for the visa (See costs below)
- Local Police Registration (if required), assistance with the local Health Checkup (required for some long-term visas) and Opening of a Bank Account in China (required for some jobs/internships)
- Pick-up and Transfer on arrival from the next International airport to where you do the placement
- Personal support staff in China/Mongolia (Beijing/Ulaanbaatar) and at our international office
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- Local SIM Card (only for placements in Beijing and Ulaanbaatar)
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- Travel to/from (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Official fees for Visa (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation Insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- StartEndGroup (Min-Max)Pricing