Please note, all prices are in New Zealand Dollar ($) The ORCA Foundation, a conservation initiative of Ocean Blue Adventures, officially opened its…
- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
- Apply Now
Please note, all prices are in New Zealand Dollar ($)
The ORCA Foundation, a conservation initiative of Ocean Blue Adventures, officially opened its doors in 2001 and was designed to create awareness about marine conservation issues facing Plettenberg Bay. Today, the foundation combines research, conservation, and education into its comprehensive volunteer programme. We strongly depend on the willingness of international volunteers to contribute their time and dedication to help further our efforts. Volunteers of different ages and backgrounds come from all over the world to learn and provide valuable assistance in a wide variety of meaningful projects. This allows them to make a valuable contribution to increased knowledge and awareness regarding local conservation efforts. If you have an interest in marine wildlife and the conservation of their environment, then you would make the perfect candidate for this trip.
During your time, you will be asked to help and be involved with a range of different tasks, which can include, but are not limited to:
- Cleaning up areas of the beach.
- Humpback Dolphin surveys.
- Estuary surveying and tree planting.
- Assisting at an animal welfare center.
- A range of boat based observations.
- Seal population monitoring in the Robberg Marine Protected Area
During your stay, you will be provided accommodation within the ORCA house.
Laundry facilities are available and your ‘House Mom’, Tilly, does communal washing several times a week to conserve energy and water.
Basic food for healthy meals is provided for you at the house. You may be required to pack a lunch for some activities, but the Volunteer Coordinator will inform you of the work schedule ahead of time. Evening meals are prepared for you 5 nights per week (Mon-Fri). We do cater for a variety of diets including vegetarian. Alternatively, you are welcome to eat out at your own expense. The ORCA house is located within easy walking distance to two shopping centers with a variety of shops, restaurants and fast food outlets, both local and international.
|Volunteering Weeks||Introductions||Total Weeks||Total Cost|
|2 weeks||1 week||3 weeks||$2,535|
|3 weeks||1 week||4 weeks||$3,198|
|4 weeks||1 week||5 weeks||$3,861|
|5 weeks||1 week||6 weeks||$4,524|
|6 weeks||1 week||7 weeks||$5,187|
|7 weeks||1 week||8 weeks||$5,850|
|8 weeks||1 week||9 weeks||$6,514|
|9 weeks||1 week||10 weeks||$7,177|
|10 weeks||1 week||11 weeks||$7,840|
|11 weeks||1 week||12 weeks||$8,503|
- Airport pick up on arrival day at Cape Town international airport.
- 7 nights dorm room accommodation in Cape Town during introduction week.
- 6 Breakfasts provided during orientation week in Cape Town (Health or English option).
- Orientation day which includes a visit to the Noon gun + V & A Waterfront.
- Full Day Cape Town Peninsula tour (lunch included).
- Half-Day Cape Town City tour.
- Half-Day Cape Town Township tour.
- 2 Free days to book additional activities (Shark diving, skydiving etc.).
- 24/7 Emergency number (WhatsApp).
- All volunteering related costs (project fees).
- Transport to bus station/airport as well as pick up when returning (If you wish to fly instead of taking the bus, an additional fee will be payable).
- Bus tickets to and from the project (Cape Town – Plettenberg Bay & Plettenberg Bay to Cape Town).
- Airport drop off at Cape Town international airport.
- Certificate of completion of volunteering.
- Return flights from country of origin (We do supply flight advice if needed).
- Any Visa related costs (We provide needed documents for obtainment of Visa).
- Any lunches & dinners except if mentioned above.
- Any items of personal nature.
- Accommodation 1 night prior to departure (You can book this night directly from our website).