- Program Details
- Apply Now
Work on a Farm for 3 – 12 months, and learn about farming in New Zealand. We work predominantly with dairy farming hosts but can assist with other farming types also.
While there are many farming types in New Zealand, the majority of farms we place applicants on are dairy farms.
For the less experienced, or working travelers who want to experience farm life, there are many farms where you can work three-four hours per day in exchange for food and accommodation. This is a great way to build up some experience to move into paid farm work. or to learn a new type of farming.
A typical day on a New Zealand farm
This will vary greatly depending on the type of farm you are on, but generally, your day will start between 4 and 7 am. On dairy farms the cows are generally milked twice per day, around 5 am and 3 pm. Between times the tasks will vary depending on the season.
During Spring - July to September - the cows will be calving so the main focus is on collecting the calves from the cows, feeding calves, animal health and assisting with pasture management. This is the busiest time of year on most farms. During the Summer and Autumn the focus shifts to maximizing milk production and general farm maintenance; repairing buildings and fences, weed control, applying fertiliser and general upkeep of the farm.
Other tasks include irrigation, setting up temporary fences for stock, animal health, preparing the ground for crops and effluent management.
The winter is generally the quieter time for most farm types and the focus is normally on protecting the wet fields from stock damage as most animals remain outside during the winter.
Be aged 18-30 years of age
Be in good health
Have no dependants
Have grown up on or around farms, and/or one year's full-time experience, and/or tertiary qualification in agriculture.
Have the ability to obtain a working holiday visa. Other visa options can be discussed. (additional costs apply)
Have a driver's licence
- Two nights of paid accommodation provided.
- Specialised Farm Orientation course
- Access to our database of paid jobs and job support for your entire stay.
- Possible pre-placement on a farm ( see requirements ).
- 24/7 phone and email support.
- Mail holding and forwarding service.
- Access to farming clubs throughout New Zealand.
- Travel card for discounted food, accommodation, and activities.
- The chance to learn new experiences and make new friends!
- Paid weekly/fortnightly - minimum $17.70 per hour (before tax and accommodation)
- Furnished accommodation
- Protective equipment (safety clothing etc.)
- Paid holidays - four weeks per year
- Regular time off - generally 10-12 days on/3 days off
- Supportive learning environment
- Access to other young/international farmers
- A chance to share your knowledge and learn new skills.
- Flights to and from New Zealand
- Travel within New Zealand (excluding airport transfer)
- Travel Insurance
- Visa fees
- StartEndGroup (Min-Max)Pricing