Please note all prices are in New Zealand Dollar ($NZD) Are you passionate about mother earth and preserving endangered animals? Join us and other environmentalists in making a difference through volunteer service and research. Our “Mother Nature Conservation Camp” is located in Zanzibar, a Tanzanian Island off the eastern coast of Africa. We have 10 volunteer activities available at two locations – a Rainforest and a Beach – which are operated under professional guidance. You can share your time between the two locations, staying in the forest camp or a bungalow on the beach! More About The Conservation Camps Around JozaniProgram Details
- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
- Apply Now
Please note all prices are in New Zealand Dollar ($NZD)
Are you passionate about mother earth and preserving endangered animals? Join us and other environmentalists in making a difference through volunteer service and research.
Our “Mother Nature Conservation Camp” is located in Zanzibar, a Tanzanian Island off the eastern coast of Africa.
We have 10 volunteer activities available at two locations – a Rainforest and a Beach – which are operated under professional guidance. You can share your time between the two locations, staying in the forest camp or a bungalow on the beach!
More About The Conservation Camps
Around Jozani Forest National Park, the volunteering activities are guided by biology teacher Mohammed. There is a weekly work plan which includes a variety of activities that you can join with a group of volunteers. If you prefer to focus on certain specific activities only, it is also possible to spend more time or full time on one or just a few selected activities only. It is possible to decide this on location. You can decide whether you want to stay at the Forest Camp or with a local host family in Muungoni.
All volunteering activities are located within a three km radius from the accommodation, reachable by bicycle, which is provided to you at no further cost.
The Jozani Forest area boasts several tropical coastal habitats and is a paradise for nature lovers. The little villages around the area have barely changed over the last hundreds of years, as they have remained largely uninfluenced by tourism. They give visitors the opportunity to become part of a village community and to get to know traditional life of Zanzibar.
In Nungwi, you will volunteer with the marine turtle conservation project of the Mnarani Natural Aquarium, and you will join creative recycling activities under the guidance of our team member Lisa and the local staff of the marine turtle sanctuary.
You will stay at the bungalow of the marine turtle project directly at one of the most beautiful white sandy beaches of Zanzibar. Nungwi is a main tourism destination in Zanzibar where you will find many hotels, restaurants, bars, and tourism offers.
Accommodation is at the Forest Camp in Jozani (or alternatively, if a participant prefers, for maximum cultural immersion, with a host family in the nearby village of Muungoni) and at the Nungwi Turtle Bungalow in Nungwi.
The World Unite! Forest Camp is the accommodation option for the volunteering activities taking place in the Jozani area. All volunteering activities can be reached within a radius of 3 km by mountain bikes, which are provided to volunteers at no extra charge.
• 3 semi-tented structures for six guests each (three bunk beds), total capacity 18 PAX
• One Ecosan water-less compost toilet from South Africa per tent
• One shower per tent with cold and hot water (solar water heaters)
• Eco-friendly: Solar power, eco-toilets, grey-water filtration, mostly local materials
• Safety: Two watchmen, 24 hours on duty; Lockable cabinet compartment for each guest in the test; safe deposit box at kitchen for valuables; Fire extinguisher, first aid kit, walkie-talkies to reach coordinators
• Serving three meals per day (breakfast, lunch, dinner); vegetarian meals are possible; Fully equipped kitchen with two cooks; covered terrace; system for filtering and chilling drinking water
• Fridge and washing machine for use of participants
• Inflatable pool (8500 litres) with filter; chlorinated water
The Nungwi Turtle Bungalow is the accommodation option for the volunteering activities taking place in Nungwi. It is located just next to the marine turtle sanctuary where all volunteering activities are carried out.
• Single, twin and dorm (four-share) rooms, all with en-suite toilet and shower; total capacity 32 PAX.
• The “Seafood Kitchen” is serving three meals per day (breakfast, lunch, dinner); vegetarian
meals are possible; fully equipped kitchen with two cooks; covered terrace
• Safety: Watchmen 24 hours on duty
• Internet through mobile network (SIM cards provided to volunteers)
Zanzibar is now a trendy and fashionable travel destination, attracting international visitors by the paradise beaches and turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean, the archipelago’s rich nature and biodiversity, and its unique cultural blend of continental African, Arab, Persian, Indian, British and Portuguese heritage.
Nearby destinations such as Tanzania mainland, Kenya, and even South Africa can be relatively easily and inexpensively reached, making it attractive for international volunteers to combine countries.
The wider Jozani Forest area is Zanzibar’s best location for ecotourism and nature-based
activities. A variety of habitats with rich biodiversity can be found around our Forest Camp
accommodation, reachable by bicycle and canoe including:
Jozani Forest National Park: Jozani Forest is the only National Park in Zanzibar. It is a 50 km2 protected tropical rainforest and home to the endemic Zanzibar Red Colobus Monkey. Chwaka Bay is part of the protected area and ecosystem.
Mangrove area: With a size of around 55 km2, the mangrove forest area between Jozani and around Uzi Island is the largest in Zanzibar. It is not only home to many birds, but also the breeding ground for many marine creatures.
Menai Bay: Menai Bay is Zanzibar’s largest marine protected area. It is a popular tourism spot for coral reefs and dolphin watching.
Uzi Island: Little has changed at the enchanted island of Uzi over the past hundreds of years. During low tide Uzi can be reached via a road through the mangrove area. During high tide it is separated from Zanzibar’s main island by the sea.
Nungwi does not only have some of Zanzibar’s finest beaches, but is also one of the island’s tourism hotspots. There is a good number of restaurants, bars, hotels, and offers targeting tourists such as water sports that participants can enjoy.
- Support prior to your departure and travel planning
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to our Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- An arrangement of your Residence Permit, Work Permit or similar permit and other official permits (if required), but not the official government fees for it/them (See costs below)
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Zanzibar International Airport (ZNZ) on arrival and departure to/from Nungwi/Muungoni
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in Zanzibar
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- 24 Hours emergency support by the local support team
- $50 USD Contribution to your project
- Local SIM Card with 10.000 TSH airtime
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- 15% Discount for Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Excursions and Watersports Activities offered by “Budget Safari Tanzania“
- Accommodation and Meals ($35 per day shared / $70 per day single accommodation)
- Travel to/from Zanzibar
- Official fees for Visa, Residence Permit, Work Permit (Approx. $650)
- Insurance ( $50-80/month. Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation Insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Approx. $50-80/month)
- StartEndGroup (Min-Max)PaxPrice